Video Credit: Genia Zhang, 2014 Oriole YAC Participant
The Oriole Youth Adventure Challenge is a 5-day leadership program aboard HMCS Oriole. Now in its 13th year, the Oriole YAC is an exciting opportunity for secondary school students to come aboard a tall ship and develop their leadership skills. Though usually based at CFB Esquimalt (Victoria, BC), HMCS Oriole is on the move as part of Canada’s 150 celebrations, and CSLA is excited to announce that the 2017 Oriole YAC took place in Charlottetown, PE – Miramichi, NB from July 2nd – 7th, 2017. While on board, participants learn, through lectures and hands on practice, how to become a capable Oriole crew member. Oriole participants build confidence, motivation, and trust, while learning how to work together to become a responsible sailing crew.
The Oriole Youth Adventure Challenge is a partnership between the Canadian Student Leadership Association and the Royal Canadian Navy.
Program Details for 2018
When does the Oriole YAC take place? stayed tuned for update on location and dates
Where is it?
Who gets to go? Fifteen student leaders from secondary schools across the country. To be eligible, students must:
- Be registered with a Canadian secondary school for September 2018 (preference will given to those students entering their Grade 11 or 12 year in September 2018);
- Be a student from a CSLA member school. Not a member? Learn more. Not sure? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org;
What are the requirements? Students making application should be physically fit and have a proven record of leadership in their schools. A positive attitude is as important as a strong desire to take on the challenges of living and working in a sail training vessel. Applications are assessed according to the following criteria:
- Leadership and service in schools, and/or community;
- Related experiences* (ex. sailing experience, other outdoor adventure programs, sports, etc.)
- Interest in the Canadian Armed Forces, and/or experience in youth programs such as Cadets, or other comparable community-based programs for youth.
*Sailing experience is not a requirement for program participants, but is considered an asset.
How do I apply? Prepare and submit the following:
- Oriole YAC 2017 Application Guide and Form
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or administrator at your school who can speak to your Leadership skills and traits, and/or why you would be a good candidate for this program;
- A one page personal statement that outlines why you would like to attend, and what experiences, skills, and/or attributes you have that would make you a good fit for this program.
Submission instructions are in the application guide.
Questions? Contact: email@example.com